Sony identically announced on Tuesday that it has delayed The Last of Us Part II “until further notice”. The reason behind this is the COVID-19 pandemic. The game had been previously scheduled to launch on May 29th.
In the tweet, Sony said in a statement, “The global crisis is preventing us from proving the launch experience our players deserve”. Sony also delay Iron Man VR .
Update: SIE has made the difficult decision to delay the launch of The Last of Us Part II and Marvel’s Iron Man VR until further notice. Logistically, the global crisis is preventing us from providing the launch experience our players deserve.— PlayStation (@PlayStation) April 2, 2020
Naughty dogs said in the statement, “We were bummed about this decision but ultimately understood it’s what’s best and fair to all of our players,” the statement reads. “We’re hoping that this won’t be a long delay and we’ll update you as soon as we have new information to share.”
A message from us about the delay of The Last of Us Part II: pic.twitter.com/aGsSRfmJ8a— Naughty Dog (@Naughty_Dog) April 2, 2020
This is not the first delay for The Last of Us Part II. In Oct, it was delayed from a Feb 21st release date to May 29th. Sony has also previously said that the Corona Virus pandemic shouldn’t impact the release of the PlayStation 5, which is also due this year. Presently, The Last of Us 2 is only slated for release on PS4.